Music Theory Tests
TMTA Music Theory Tests
Chairperson: Julie Arras
FALL TEST: November 12, 2022
SPRING TEST: February 4, 2023
Fall – September 15, 2022
Spring – December 15, 2022
It’s time to register for theory testing, There are LOTS of changes this year. Be sure to check them all out!!
Online registration only. Registration Fee: $15.00 per student. Fees may be paid online when registering or by checks made out to MCMTA (see online registration form for details).
All students must be registered Student Affiliate members to participate.
No late registrations will be accepted.
MCMTA is still working on securing our theory testing site for both the Fall and Spring tests (2022-2023). We will immediately let members know if there is a change of location. Check back for more information or contact Julie Arras!
*There are new rules about testing 9-12th graders. See the following:Important Theory AnnouncementsPlease note a change for 10th-12th grade students regarding the required theory level in the 2022-2023 TMTA Handbook under the Theory Eligibility for Other SA Activities heading:“Once a student earns a 90 or above (at grade level or below grade level), he/she must advance to the next test level with the exception of those in Grades 10-12 who may continue to test at Level 9, 10, or 11 regardless of medal status.”What does this mean for your students? Students who have earned a medal on the Level 9, 10, or 11 theory test may continue to test at the same level and still be eligible for other theory required Student Affiliate events with a passing score of 70 or above.Here are a few examples:• A student who earned a Whitlock or Theory Achievement Medal on Level 9 last year may take and pass the Level 9 test again this year and through his/her senior year for SA eligibility.• An 11th grade student who earned a Whitlock medal last year on the Level 10 test may take and pass the Level 10 test again this year and next year for SA eligibility.• A 12th grade student who earned a Whitlock medal last year on the Level 11 test may take and pass the Level 11 test again this year for SA eligibility.Other important reminders:• Students may remain at the same test level until receiving a medal with the exception of those in Grades 10-12 who may continue to test at Level 9, 10, or 11 regardless of medal status.• Students do not have a required minimum test level unless participating in another Student Affiliate event requiring theory testing. Please refer to the TMTA Handbook for more information.• All students earning a 90 or higher on a TMTA SA theory test will earn a medal: Whitlock medal for at grade level testing or Theory Achievement Medal for below grade level testing.• Keep encouraging students to aim for the Senior Awards!Bonus Question Information for Levels 8-12: The bonus question will remain a written question for 2022-2023 where students write in the counts for the notes and rests below the four measures of rhythm.
- Tests must go through the grading process. Local ensemble, original composition, and performance coordinators must verify theory eligibility to be eligible for ensemble, original composition contest, publication contest, and performance contest.
- A student is required to take and pass the test on only one level in order to be eligible for ensemble, original composition, publication and performance, even if that student has skipped a grade in school.
- Medals are awarded to students scoring 90 or above on a test taken at his/her grade level and state-graded. Students that do not take a test at their grade level will not receive a medal.
- Gold: 98-101 Silver: 94-97 Bronze: 90-93
- Certificates of Achievement are available for students that score 70 or above. Teachers are responsible for ordering them for their own students at www.tmta.org.
- Theory medals will be ordered by the theory chairman. Certificates of Achievment must be ordered by teachers.
Teacher’s Theory manuals are available to purchase at www.tmta.org under “Forms.”
Contact Julie Arras (Theory Chair) at (817) 576-2816 or email at: [email protected]
Follow us on Facebook